Modern Day Photos
The John Gano chapel was built in 1926 through a donation from Elizabeth Price, John Gano's great-granddaughter. The chapel was named after Gano and features a painting of him baptizing George Washington in the Potomac River during the American Revolutionary War. The college does not take a stance on whether the baptism actually happened, but the painting is one of the school's most popular tourist attractions.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
The Western Auto Building, first known as the Coca-Cola Building or the Candler Building, after owner Asa Griggs Candler, is located at 2107 Grand Boulevard, in the Crossroads neighborhood. It was built in 1914. Later it served as the headquarters of the Western Auto Supply Company, and became known by that association, especially when the company put a multi-story lighted sign on top of the building.
The twelve-story building was designed by Arthur C. Tufts & Co. and built in 1914 by the Swenson Construction Company, for the Coca-Cola Company. Asa Griggs Candler had bought the recipe for the drink in 1892, founded the company and rapidly expanded distribution of the product. He established new bases in the South and Midwest, and began to sell the soda drink in Cuba. First known as the Coca-Cola Building or Candler Building, this was one of several he had built through Coca-Cola. Candler's company headquarters occupied the elaborate Candler Building in Atlanta.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
The mansion, originally built for Walter S. Dickey, was donated by philanthropist William Volker to become the first building of the University of Kansas City in 1930. Despite financial difficulties during the Great Depression, classes began in 1933. Later, the building was renamed after former chancellor Clarence Scofield who oversaw the transition from a private university to a member of the University of Missouri system. Dr. Scofield retired as chancellor of the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 1965.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
The World War II Memorial Campanile is the most notable landmark at the University of Kansas, built in 1950 to honor the 277 students and faculty who died serving their country. The tower is 120 feet tall, made of native Kansas limestone, and contains a 53-bell carillon. The names of the deceased are engraved on the walls of the Memorial Room, while the south doors depict war tragedies and the north doors depict the ideals of Kansas and the university. The tower was dedicated in 1951 and renovated in 1996. The largest bell is dedicated to Olin Templin, who worked to establish a carillon tower to honor the settlers of Lawrence who endured hardships during the Civil War but died before it could be built. Templin's plans were eventually carried out by the Memorial Association Committee.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
Construction of Allen Fieldhouse began in 1952 but was halted due to a federal steel restriction. However, the university found a loophole by adding gun and weapons storage rooms, allowing the construction to continue. The Fieldhouse was dedicated in 1955 and has undergone several renovations, including upgrades to accessibility, seating, and facilities.
Recent renovations include the addition of a Hall of Athletics facility and improvements to concessions and restrooms. In 2010, the Booth family purchased the original rules of basketball.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
The Bell Tower and Pergola were built in 2000 as part of Rockhurst University's largest campus improvement and expansion plan. The 93-foot tower, nearby pergola, and fountain were added to extend the central quadrangle and create more green space for the campus community to gather. The bell tower features the words "Learning, Leadership, and Service in the Jesuit Tradition" as a tribute to Rockhurst's mission.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
The groundbreaking ceremony on November 1, 1921, was attended by 200,000 people, including Vice President Calvin Coolidge, Lieutenant General Baron Jacques of Belgium, Admiral of the Fleet Lord Beatty of Great Britain, General Armando Diaz of Italy, Marshal Ferdinand Foch of France, General of the Armies John J. Pershing of the United States, and 60,000 members of the American Legion.
The local veteran chosen to present flags to the commanders was a Kansas City haberdasher, Harry S. Truman, who would later serve as 33rd President of the United States from 1945 to 1953. The finished monument was dedicated on November 11, 1926, by 30th President Coolidge, in the presence of Queen Marie of Romania.
On December 19, 2014, President Barack Obama signed legislation recognizing it as "a 'World War I Museum and Memorial'", which resulted in redesignation of the entire site as the National World War I Museum and Memorial.
In 1927, Kansas State University built its first free-standing library which was later named Farrell Library in honor of the university's eighth president. In 1997, it was renamed Hale Library after receiving a generous gift from Joe and Joyce Hale.
The original portion of the library is now known as Historic Farrell Library and includes the Virginia Carlson Family Reading Room, a reading room, the Dow Center for Multicultural and Community Studies, and the Great Room which was fully restored after a fire in 2018. The Great Room is located on the 3rd floor and has a special place in the university's history, with many contributors helping to maintain and preserve it over the years.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium opened as KSU Stadium in 1968 and has undergone various renovations and upgrades over the years. The first game played at the stadium was in 1968 and it had a seating capacity of 35,000. In 1970, 4,000 permanent bleacher seats were added, and an AstroTurf playing field was installed.
The stadium received updates over the years, including a press box and luxury suites, an upper deck on the east grandstands, and new north end zone seating. The official seating capacity is currently 50,000. In 2021, two locations were established where general public ticket holders can purchase alcoholic beverages within the stadium gates. The 'Tailgate Terrace' is an outdoor space part of the West Stadium Center, and the 'Powercat Porch' is located in the southeast corner of the stadium and can accommodate 400 fans.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
Anderson Hall at Kansas State University was built in 1877 with an appropriation of $12,500 from the state legislature for its north wing. It housed classrooms for English, drawing, mathematics, and practical agriculture, as well as the president's office and library until 1894. In 1880, a new appropriation of $30,000 was made to build the central structure, including the tower, and retrofit the north wing for steam heating. A time capsule was also embedded in the new foundation. The central section contained the president's office, a fire-proof vault, the main hall with a stained glass dome-like window, and a chapel. The south wing was completed in 1884 and included a model kitchen and dairy, a sewing room, the Lady Superintendent's office, study rooms, and classrooms.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
Academic Hall was built in 1840-1843 and was the first building of the University of Missouri and the first public university building west of the Mississippi River. Designed by Stephen Hills, the hall's columns were made from limestone drums.
When the hall burned down in 1892, many people wanted the columns to be demolished, but a local citizen protested and got a judicial writ to halt their destruction. An architect confirmed that the columns were structurally sound, and they were preserved.
In 2017, a major preservation effort was undertaken, and a class on "The Geology of the Columns" was offered at the University of Missouri.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
Kansas City was founded in the 1830s as a port on the Missouri River at its confluence with the Kansas River coming in from the west.
Kansas City, Missouri, was incorporated as a town on June 1, 1850, and as a city on March 28, 1853. The area, straddling the border between Missouri and Kansas at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers, was considered a good place to build settlements.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
Planned in 1922 by J.C. Nichols and designed in Moorish Revival Style echoing the architecture of Seville, Spain, the Plaza comprises high-end retail establishments, restaurants, and entertainment venues, as well as offices. The Country Club Plaza is named in the Project for Public Spaces' list 60 of the World's Great Places.
The center consists of 18 separate buildings representing 784,000 square feet of retail space and 219,000 square feet of office space.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
Forrest "Phog" Allen was an American basketball coach who is known as the "Father of Basketball Coaching". He coached at Baker University, the University of Kansas, Haskell Institute, and Warrensburg Teachers College. In his 39 seasons at Kansas, he won 24 conference championships and three national titles, and his 590 wins are the most of any coach in Kansas basketball history.
He also coached football and baseball and was an athletics administrator and osteopathic physician. Allen was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the home basketball arena at the University of Kansas, Allen Fieldhouse, was named in his honor.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.
William Jewell College was founded in Liberty, Missouri, in 1849 with a donation of $10,000 from Dr. William Jewell. The school was originally intended to be built in Boonville, Missouri, but Alexander William Doniphan convinced Jewell that the undeveloped land in Liberty would be more valuable.
The campus sits on a hilltop donated by Judge James Turner Vance Thompson, and during the American Civil War, Jewell Hall was used as a hospital, infirmary, and stables for Union troops. The campus is also home to Mt. Memorial Cemetery, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.
Available in different sizes and materials. Images may appear slightly different after purchase depending on size and material. Contact for custom requests.